AUGUST 12, 2014 IS THE FIRST DAY
Applying to Pioneer School of the Arts:
Enrollment is granted through a lottery process. For general information on Schools of Choice please contact Meridian School of Choice Coordinator Kate Hunter at Hunter.Kathleen@meridianschools.org
NEW SCHOOL HOURS!
9:05 - 3:50 GRADES 1-5
9:05- 12:05 AM KINDERGARTEN
12:55 - 3:50 PM KINDERGARTEN
Please contact the front office of any absences or tardies. You may call the front office at 855-4100 and leave a message at any time.
2013-2014 Modified Calendar
“The EARTH without ART is just EH!”
At Pioneer, students enjoy …
Positive Environment: Pioneer is a K-5 Magnet Arts Program that strives to foster a safe, supportive, and intellectually stimulating learning environment.
Learning for All: Pioneer’s staff effectively responds to the needs of all learners by differentiating instruction, integrating visual and performing arts, and instilling a lifelong love of learning.
Innovative Instruction: A synthesis of traditional core instruction and innovative arts integration supports the intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and artistic development of the “whole child.”
Why Focus on the Arts?
Educational research demonstrates that a focus on the arts helps students become better readers and problem solvers, especially when arts are integrated as part of the school’s daily curriculum. Through an arts infused curriculum, Pioneer students learn to utilize higher-order thinking skills such as critical thinking, analyzing, and decision-making.
Teachers at Pioneer creatively address state and district standards by utilizing visual and performing arts activities in the classroom. These experiences provide a means for students to construct their own knowledge and a deeper understanding of important concepts.
Skillfully integrated arts-based activities (singing, dancing, painting, sculpting, drawing, playing music, and more) enhance student learning and help students acquire basic developmental skills.
Pioneer at a Glance
· Modified Calendar
· Response to Intervention (Specific focus on individual student progress)
· Learning Lab (Supports for students in need of specialized instruction)
· Broad Range of Specials Classes - Art, Music (General Music, Musical Keyboarding, Band, Orchestra), Physical Education, Computer Lab, and Library
· Active parent volunteerism
· Gifted and Talented Program
· Fully equipped computer lab, projectors and document cameras in all classrooms, mobile media carts, computers in each classroom
· Research-based reading, writing, and math instruction/interventions, including Waterford Early Reading
· Dedicated and knowledgeable, with a broad range of educational endorsement areas
· 50% of our teachers have a Masters Degree
· Certified Visual Arts and Music Specialists
· Regular collaboration focused on instruction and student learning